“But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever”. Psalm 52:8

11/22/2010

Precious promises

And in the same way the Spirit is a help to our feeble hearts: for we are not able to make prayer to God in the right way; but the Spirit puts our desires into words which are not in our power to say; Romans 8:26

Little sheep Vitoria one month old

I didn´t know that there are twelve promises from God on psalm 23. Until I was pregnant of Vitoria and a very special friend prepared a plan of praying for us.
It was last year, about this time of the year. I was on seventh month of pregnancy. She was growing and moving a lot. It was my first pregnancy. Everything was new and exciting. I felt so beautiful with my big belly and proud about our first baby girl. I had decided I would be happy and enjoy that pregnancy at most, even knowing about her condition. I would love my baby and I would trust in God´s unfailing love. But it wasn´t easy to do that.
As we were getting closer to the due date, anxiety and fear started to come too. While she was in my womb, she was protected. What would happen after her birth? I knew she would probably die, despite of our prayers for the miracle of her healing. But I also knew there was a distant possibility of survival. I had read about a baby with anencephaly in Brazil that had lived for 20 months a few years ago, and also about a baby with partial acrania that lived for 3 years and a half – after an attempt of abortion on seventh month of pregnancy. But, would I be capable to care of a baby with a so serious malformation? Would I be happy being mother of a child like that? What should I ask to God? I didn´t know what to want. I didn´t know what to pray anymore. I only asked God to teach me to be His sheep. I asked for help, so that God could show His presence during that time.
So a friend appeared with a very special gift. She prepared a plan of praying. She shared seven psalms and asked to some friends at church to pray for us. I was so grateful that people would stop and pray for me, for Marcelo and Vitoria every day, during seven weeks. Those were amazing days. I could see God´s presence all the time, helping me to deal with my fears, healing my anxiety about the future. During C-section, I was very nervous. The only thing I could think is that God would do the best for Vitoria and for us. And when she was born, I felt an indescribable peace, I had never felt. I could see her malformation and I understood only God could decide about her future. I thought she would die soon. It wasn´t easy, but I was in peace. I was happy to carry her in my arms with life. She was so precious. She was much more than I ever would be able to dream for a daughter.
I´d like to share with you the first psalm this friend gave me, with twelve precious promises, and I hope they can be a very special gift for everyone who reads this blog, as they were for me. Actually, this is a present from God for all His sheeps.
Promise of provision: The Lord takes care of me as his sheep; I will not be without any good thing.
Promise of resting: He makes a resting-place for me in the green fields.
Promise of Direction: He is my guide by the quiet waters.
Promise of sanctification: He gives new life to my soul: he is my guide in the ways of righteousness because of his name.
Promise of courage: Yes, though I go through the valley of deep shade, I will have no fear of evil;
Promise of His presence: for you are with me...
Promise of comfort: ...your rod and your support are my comfort.
Promise of honor: You make ready a table for me in front of my haters;
Promise of unction: you put oil on my head;
Promise of Joy: my cup is overflowing...
Promise of Care: Truly, blessing and mercy will be with me all the days of my life;
Promise of future: …and I will have a place in the house of the Lord all my days.

"Little sheep" Vitoria today

1 comment:

  1. Jo, this is a new post, I can see you haven't even posted it in the blog in Portuguese yet. I have tears in my eyes thinking of the time I was there with you right after you came back from C-section. I hadn't slept that night trying to catch a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Sao Paulo - a flight that we almost did not catch because Webjet's selling booth didn't open on time. I remember I started crying and shouting I wouldn't be able to see my niece, my niece had just been born. And I was afraid I wouldn't see her alive.
    It is almost impossible to believe we would be where we are now - Vi's 10 months old. Nothing could guarantee that back then.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts during those crucial difficult days.
    Psalm 23 always has a new teaching, a new aspect, no matter how many times we read it.

    Love, always!
    Ivana

    ReplyDelete

Please let your comment here, or if you prefer, contact me through e-mail: joanaschmitz@yahoo.com.br
We thank all comments of encouragement and love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...